It’s filmmaker’s responsibility to take advantage of every tool that is thrown in the way. This isn’t about color grading, color correction, even the color quality of different cameras. This is about production design, about writing color as an entire character in script.
This video will explain how color enriches the Storytelling quality :-
What is Color Psychology?
Color psychology is study of hues as a determinant of human behavior. Color influences perceptions that are not obvious. Color psychology is more deeply relative to film-making also. It helps in conveying visual storytelling effectively. In the art of cinema, the color shown in a particular scene are crucial to its context. Pink hints frolic sweetness, red unleashes passion and desire, orange brings youthfulness. The spectrum of colors are interpreted in many ways to show thoughts and feelings.
Following are the emotions expressed according to colors –
- RED – anger, passion, rage, desire, excitement, energy, speed, strength, power, heat, love, aggression, danger, fire, blood, war, violence
- PINK – love, innocence, healthy, happy, content, romantic, charming, playfulness, soft, delicate, feminine
- YELLOW – wisdom, knowledge, relaxation, joy, happiness, optimism, idealism, imagination, hope, sunshine, summer, dishonesty, cowardice, betrayal, jealousy, covetousness, deceit, illness, hazard
- ORANGE – humor, energy, balance, warmth, enthusiasm, vibrant, expansive, flamboyant
- GREEN – healing, soothing, perseverance, tenacity, self-awareness, proud, unchanging nature, environment, healthy, good luck, renewal, youth, vigour, spring, generosity, fertility, jealousy, inexperience, envy
- BLUE – faith, spirituality, contentment, loyalty, fulfillment peace, tranquility, calm, stability, harmony, unity, trust, truth, confidence, conservatism, security, cleanliness, order, sky, water, cold, technology, depression
- PURPLE/VIOLET – erotic, royalty, nobility, spirituality, ceremony, mysterious, transformation, wisdom, enlightenment, cruelty, arrogance, mourning, power, sensitive, intimacy
- BROWN – materialistic, sensation, earth, home, outdoors, reliability, comfort, endurance, stability, simplicity
- BLACK – No, power, sexuality, sophistication, formality, elegance, wealth, mystery, fear, anonymity, unhappiness, depth, style, evil, sadness, remorse, anger
- WHITE – Yes, protection, love, reverence, purity, simplicity, cleanliness, peace, humility, precision, innocence, youth, birth, winter, snow, good, sterility, marriage (Western cultures), death (Eastern cultures), cold, clinical, sterile
- SILVER – riches, glamorous, distinguished, earthy, natural, sleek, elegant, high-tech
- GOLD – precious, riches, extravagance. warm, wealth, prosperity, grandeur
Mere color, unspoiled by meaning, and unallied with definite form, can speak to the soul in a thousand different ways – Oscar Wilde